Why and how to protect online
Why you should protect your
online activity and how
It is possible for someone to monitor your online activity if they
have access to your computer. In order to prevent your abuser from monitoring
your online activity, it is always best to use a computer that your
abuser cannot access - at a public library, internet café, work,
or the computer of a friend you trust.
If you must use a computer that your abuser has access to, following
the steps below will help eliminate some of the information about your
Use an email address that your abuser does not know about. Select an
email address that does not include your name, and choose a password
that your abuser will not easily guess.
If an abuser knows how to read your computer's history or cache file,
he or she may be able to see information you have viewed on the Internet.
Cookies and AutoComplete functions can also give your abuser information
about internet activity. Directions on how to clear this information
from different browsers is below. Remember, even if you complete these
steps, it may be possible for your abuser to track your email or online
- Pull down the Edit menu and select Preferences.
- Click on Navigator and choose Clear History.
- Click on Privacy and Cookies and select Manage Stored Cookies.
Click Clear All Cookies.
- Click on Forms. Click on the Manage Stored Form Data button.
Click on Remove All Saved Data. Click on the Manage Sites button. Click on the Remove All button
for both tabs in this form.
- Click on Advanced and select Cache. Click
on Clear Disk Cache.
- Pull down the Tools menu and select Internet Options.
- Go to the General tab. Under Temporary Internet Files, click on
Delete Files. If asked, check the box to delete all offline
content. Next, click on "Delete Cookies. Under the History
section, click on Clear History.
- Go to the Content tab. Click on AutoComplete
and click Clear Forms.
- Click on the Advanced tab. Uncheck the Use Inline
- Pull down Members menu, select Preferences.
- Click on WWW icon. Select Advanced. Select Purge Cache.