As a volunteer with NYAWC, you can touch the lives of abused women and their children, either directly through client support or by joining the movement to end violence against women. Volunteer service is rewarding and brings with it the opportunity to meet others who are committed to our cause and active in our community.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
There are a variety of ways that you can donate your time and talents to NYAWC. Based on the information that you share in your volunteer application and your volunteer interview, the Volunteer Coordinator will assist you in selecting projects that are most suitable for your interests, schedule, and skills.
Join Our Volunteer Program
Join us in providing life-saving services to women and children in need! Volunteers need no prior experience. Fluency in an Asian language is extremely helpful, but not required. Requirements for joining NYAWC’s Volunteer Program are as follows:
- For minors (younger than 18 years), agreement forms signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Full participation in all sessions of volunteer orientation and training.
- Adherence to NYAWC policies and procedures pertaining to the Volunteer Program.
If you are interested in volunteering for NYAWC, please complete the volunteer application and submit it to Vineeta Kapahi at email@example.com .
If you have any difficulty in downloading the application above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
1) What are the days and times of the volunteer projects?
Projects take place during different hours of the day, throughout the week. The Volunteer Coordinator and/or your Project Leader will help you select volunteer positions based on your availability.
2) For how long do I need to commit to volunteering at NYAWC?
The length of the commitment required depends on your project assignment. Please see the volunteer opportunities list or speak to a staff member for program specific information.
3) If I have a limited amount of experience working with people in need, would I still qualify?
NYAWC will review your past volunteer work and other experience to help determine what type of placement will be appropriate for you experience level. We also provide a general orientation as well as project specific training for all volunteers to prepare you for volunteering..
4) Do I need to speak an Asian language to become a volunteer with NYAWC?
No. However, if you are fluent in an Asian language, you will be eligible for a broader variety of volunteer opportunities.
5) What if I have a special talent or skill that I would like to offer as a volunteer?
If you have a unique skill that you would like to incorporate into your volunteer work, or if you have an idea for a volunteer project other than those currently listed on this site, you are welcome to contact the Volunteer Coordinator with your suggestion. The Volunteer Coordinator and NYAWC staff will determine whether or not your skills match any of our current needs.
6) Will I receive any orientation or training to prepare me for volunteer work with NYAWC?
Yes, we provide a general orientation for all volunteers. We also provide an intensive training for volunteers answering the hotline and specialized orientations for specific types of projects.
7) How do NYAWC volunteers work with clients?
If you are selected for a volunteer project that works directly with clients, you will receive thorough training to provide you with skills and information that will help you carry out this work. In addition, you will receive ongoing support and supervision from NYAWC staff. Through training, you will learn how to provide support through active and reflective listening and how to maintian appropriate boundaries. Volunteers do not provide counseling or case management for clients.
8) Where are NYAWC and its volunteer projects located?
The location of your volunteer work depends on your project assignment. Most volunteer work will either take place in our main office, (32 Broadway, NY, New York,10004), community offices (Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan), or in our shelters (our residential facilities have confidential locations that you will be informed of on a need to know basis).
9) Are there opportunities for men to volunteer?
Yes. We welcome male volunteers to join us. In fact, male volunteers are important because they help set positive male role models for our clients and their children.
10) What is the length of the volunteer application process?
After submitting your application, NYAWC will follow up with you within ten business days. The length of the application process differs for each volunteer position as the screening requirements vary among programs.
11) My group would like to volunteer together. How can we?
There are a variety of ways for groups to volunteer, NYAWC staff will work with groups to determine the availability of a project that meets the needs of your group and NYAWC. In the past, group activities have included : running a collections drive, creating holiday cards or gift packages for clients, participating in a rally, painting, gardening, and more. For more information on opportunities for groups, please contact email@example.com.
12) Will NYAWC provide me with a letter of recommendation for school applications, job searches, or other professional purposes?
The NYAWC will consider providing letters of recommendation on a case by case basis.